1 position available
Name of Organization: Farmers on 57th
Location: Main location at 57th @ Heather Street & Growing Eden Garden @ Bobolink Park
Start Date: Flexible, ideally on or before July 5 with last possible end date of September 3, 2022
Hours offered: Tuesday to Saturday, 30 hrs/week for 6-11 weeks for a total possible 330 hours depending on start date
Compensation: $15.65/ hour + vacation pay.
This is a Canada Summer job posting, so the successful applicant must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
In addition, because we work on the grounds of a long-term residential care facility and with children we require:
- proof of vaccination, a BC Vaccine Passport
- Criminal Record Clearance
Organizational Website: www.farmerson57th.ca
Farmers on 57th is a therapeutic & educational urban farm on the grounds of George Pearson Centre, a long-term care facility for people with disabilities in Vancouver, BC. For over 10 years, Farmers on 57th has grown into a thriving 70 household CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) market garden, offering courses and tours to the public. We also run a weekly enabling garden program for Pearson residents, allowing those living with disabilities to grow, harvest and enjoy their own-grown food and flowers. And in our satellite garden in Southeast Vancouver, adjacent to the South Vancouver Family Place and an elementary school, we run a summer garden-based program for newcomer/refugee mothers and their young children.
We are listed as an example of best practice by the City of Vancouver.
As our summer youth employee you would play an important supportive role to our programs. In this way you get to experience the productive, therapeutic and educational components of this thriving community integrated farm! It is a wonderful way to spend a summer.
Your responsibilities would include:
Market Garden Farm Team member at George Pearson Centre
Heather Street and 57th Ave, Tues-Sat 9am-3pm (exact hours to be determined with successful applicant)
This component of the job involves working in a productive market garden with a fabulous team of urban farmers. You will learn many aspects of growing & harvesting market vegetables and flowers for a CSA box program.
- work with the market garden team & independently to accomplish the week’s field tasks including weeding, seeding, transplanting, tilling, amending, composting, watering, mulching, trellising, pruning, harvesting, processing and distribution under the direction of the Agroecology Intern & Executive Director
- work alongside volunteers in Market Garden tasks, train and supervise volunteers as needed
- interact with Pearson residents, CSA members & general public
- twice weekly Instagram posts of educational & community interest, using Farmers on 57th account
Growing Eden Co-Coordinator
Nanaimo and 62nd, Tues 10am-2pm (program runs 11 to 1 pm)
This is a family-based program for newcomers, refugees and low-income folks in South Vancouver. You will work with a Program Lead to run the garden-based programming each week, so this is a fun and supportive role. This role may include support from the South Vancouver Family Place summer volunteer, a neighbouring partner of the Growing Eden garden. Part of the fun is to promote conversation about plants and food among participants of all ages, in particular children and their caretakers.
- Co-develop the weekly program for the season with the Program Lead
- Research ideas for harvest meal plans and recipes to share with participants
- Set-up & clean-up of garden program and weekly activity, including outdoor kitchen & bbq setup
- Weekly observation of garden; co-lead harvest of ready vegetables, flowers, herbs
- Help coordinate cooking and clean up in the outdoor kitchen.
- Note: this has been on-hold in accordance with Provincial Health Guidelines. We will be flexible to bring this integral part of the Growing Eden programming back as we are able.
- Lead children and families in garden interaction, nature-based program activities and harvesting techniques
- Engage parents with the diversity of plants that can be grown, inspire children to learn about where food comes from, co-generate food preparation skill-sharing amongst participants
- Weekly online posts to the members-only facebook group and Farmers on 57th Instagram, sharing recipe ideas, photos of what’s growing in the garden, educational information, gardening tips, general engagement through questions and discussion; approx. 1 hr/week
Skills & Requirements:
- 30 years or younger, Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Refugee Status with valid Social Insurance Number
- physically fit, willing and able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, can lift 25 lb.
- strong listening skills and verbally communicative, open and honest, personable
- ability to take the lead, solve problems in a group setting
- self-motivated & organized, responsible, strong self-initiative
- willingness to engage on social media platforms including Instagram, Facebook, WordPress Blog
Assets, but not required:
- basic knowledge & experience with program leadership, especially with kids ages 5-12 & adults
- basic knowledge & experience growing food, plant identification, gardening & food safe
- basic knowledge & experience in communications
- bicycle, car or other personal vehicle to travel between program areas
- access to & willingness to use a personal computer and/or cell phone
On-site training will be provided.
We are a majority white community space striving to be a safe, inclusive community space for people of all identities. Applicants who self-identify with a group under-represented in our community will be prioritized.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Karen Ageson, CSA Farmer & Market Garden Manager, at email@example.com. Only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.